Forum Replies Created
Hi Terri
You will ALWAYS be welcome – you must never feel bad about posting when you feel low. We understand exactly what you are going through & that’s what we are here for. Can’t wait to see the booties!
We are trying to give you the best advice too. Please, please drop the algae – it is worrying me. It may be making things worse & if it were me, I would stop giving it immediately. I appreciate that “others” (FB?) may think it’s wonderful, but there is no proof of that – remember that everyone would be using it & we would not need other harsh treatments if that was the case. We try very hard to give you factual information, not heresay on here. It is true that the pred & other immuno suppressants have side effects, but they do the job of saving so many of our dogs. It is the correct treatment protocol. I can see the pred scares you a lot – but it is the cornerstone of many treatments, especially so for IMHA.
Sorry to ask again, but what other tests have been done? Any x-rays, scans, blood smears?
I’ve just had a look at the blood test you sent & compared it to the 8th January, which was the most recent one I had. His HCT is coming up nicely & Koda is still pumping out the baby red cells, which is good. His hemoglobin is only slightly lower than normal – lovely! Your vet needs to get to the bottom of this high white cell count as Mary has said. Brigitte has rightly pointed out that there are many causes, so ask the vet for some help finding out what the cause is. His platelets are not in danger level, even though they have dropped a bit.
I agree that the pred dose is not high enough to suppress the immune system & I think you should discuss putting it up & maybe adding another longer acting immuno -suppressant with your vet & Dr Dodds if you are scared about the pred. Dr Dodds would be the best person to ask for advice, but is always very busy!
Let us know what’s happening.
Love & hugs
Sheena xxx
Hi again Lynda
Been thinking about the fever side – a haematoma could cause a fever too. These pools of blood can become infected & often appear after severe strain/extension injury. My Mum in law fell badly on an escalator, badly injuring both her ankles – tendons & ligaments, then developed haematomas in both which became infected. She developed a high temperature the day after the accident & I took her straight to hospital again. Just another idea – Worth thinking about as you don’t know what tests have been done.
It’s hard when you’re tired to think properly. Tick diseases can cause lameness & are worth eliminating, even though they are rare in the UK.
I will be thinking of you all day – keep us posted
Sheena x
Terri,
I just did some random google search, arthritis inflamation white blood cells, and found an article with this statement:
A high white blood cell count could suggest inflammation, which can be due to rheumatoid arthritis (RA). However, infections, stress, and exercise will temporarily elevate the white blood cell count, too.
Run that thought by your vet when you go for blood tests on Monday. It would make sense. Just throwing it out there.
I hope you get some sleep,
Brigitte
Hi Terri
Thank you for saving all those cats! 6 is certainly a handful! Trooper is lucky to have found such a wonderful home and obviously feels very comfortable.
Have you and your vet discussed giving a long term immunosuppressant alongside the pred? Prednisolone is often essential in treating IMHA but alone, it isn’t always enough. I fully understand what you are saying about doing all you can, and I remember only too well trying to negotiate treatments and side effects and the overall minefield of this disease. Still, the rise in Koda’s PCV is encouraging. I am also baffled as to why the platelets are dropping and the White cells are high, and am hoping one of the others may be able to shed some light on this. I wonder if the high white cell count is the reason Dr Dodds suggested inflammation or infection. What does your vet say?
I’d love to see Koda in his pink booties and rest assured he will not be the first on this forum to wear some, eh Bingo?
Hang in there. You are doing a wonderful job.
Mary & Mable x
Terri,
I think on their website it states that the bio prep boosts the immune system. I did give it to my AIHA dog, I was reaching for straws…. I showed it to my vet and she just shrugged. She did not believe it would do any harm but was not convinced it would help. I remember we have discouraged it on this forum but then you are not even sure you are dealing with AIHA. So if you think it helps Koda, keep giving it.
The coconut oil, I just threw that one in because I give it to my healthy dogs, sorry. The fish oil is good and you certainly don’t need something else.
Kelp and agea can contain iodine, which in turn helps with hypothyroid, which is also a side effect or cause of AIHA.
I looked up the erythro pro blood, it sounds like it could be beneficial but it contains iron. The petinic does too I believe so I would check with the vet if you are not giving too much iron now.
I hope I have not confused you more . I am sorry all my knowledge is anectotal, not scientific or based on any studies. I still hope it helps a bit.
Brigitte