- Second Chance AIHA ›
- Forums ›
- AIHA Dog ›
- Puppy just diagnosed with IMHA
Sheena I was thinking 10mg was too low as well but since I am so new to this I didn’t want to give the wrong info. Thank you for confirming that. Coal was only 4 mo and 26b and was on 30mg to start. I agree they should increase. AND check the RCV more often.
Couldn’t agree more with what Amy says (you already have a really good grasp of this disease Amy & are a massive help to others – you are awesome actually). I always wanted to make sure everything that could be done for Worzel WAS done – not always easy! I was a frequent PCV checker at the local vets, they never minded. Worry was my middle name. Still is if Mr Worzie is slightly under par!
All of us where very “green” at the beginning & it really pays to get involved & understand what’s happening, Crystal – that way, you can help your beloved pet get the best possible treatment & outcome! And of course we will help you as much as we can.
Sheena x
Crystal, I also think that prednisone dosage is a bit low for Ajax and I’d probably go back in earlier for a PCV check to keep an eye on things. Quite often the medicines don’t work immediately, so it’s better to keep an eye on things.
The prednisone is what gives them the appetite, but right now Ajax is most likely feeling a bit sick all over. Low energy, and it’s important to keep him quiet for now, even if he likes to go for walks. The antibiotic could be making him feel a bit sick too.
Can you ask for a copy of the blood tests? As you’ve paid for them, they really are yours but some of us felt funny asking for them. I always used to say, it helped me to understand what was happening. When you have a copy use the urgent advise at the top, or here:
https://www.secondchanceaihadogs.com/urgent-advice/
it will send a copy through to the moderators. A few of the lovely ladies here are very clever in understanding them, and they’ll help you to understand them too.
As the others have said, ask away.
Love Vally & Bingo
Let me start out by saying thank you for all of the great advice and support that was given to me regarding Ajax. I was able to get him to be seen by my primary vet yesterday and she disagreed with the initial diagnosis. Upon doing an x-ray they found that he had fluid all around his heart and his left lung was being compressed. They did a draw and found that it was blood, so he had been bleeding into his chest! He is feeling much better now that he is on a coagulant and got a blood transfusion, he had dropped to %15, and it looks like the internal bleeding has stopped. Unfortunately they can’t give me a definitive answer as to what caused this in the first place so it’s a game of wait and see how he is after the transfusion wears off. Then wait and see if it ever happens again. The advice given to me about normal treatment protocols for IMHA helped me make the right decision to get a second opinion and very well may have saved my dogs life. We’re still not out of the woods, but at least he is more comfortable. All of my best wishes and good thoughts to everyone battling IMHA, this is a great community of people. Crystal and Ajax
Hi Crystal
My goodness, doesn’t this prove that vets need to do extensive tests to find the cause of any anaemia – and we know that often doesn’t happen. I’m so sorry to hear about the bleeding – you are just brilliant getting a second opinion – it’s thanks to YOU Ajax is getting the right care now. I am crossing everything that this will never happen again.
Just a thought & one last question – are Ajax’s platelet levels OK? There is something called ITP
https://www.secondchanceaihadogs.com/AIHA_Terms/itp/
where the body attacks it’s own platelets & destroys them, very similar action to it destroying red cells. I am hoping your new vet will have looked into this though, but wanted to mention it just in case. You would probably have seen bruising & petechiae (broken capillaries) though, so it’s unlikely.
Please stay with us though – we’d love to hear how Ajax is doing & as we said, anyone with any form of anaemia in a pet is always welcome!
So a lesson learned for everyone really – make every effort to find the cause.
Wishing for a speedy recovery for Ajax
Much love Sheena & the boys xxxx
My 50 days old gsd puppy has been diagonsed with IMHA . He got high fever after 3 days of his forst nasal vaccination . But initially the trigger was not detected and vet told us it might be tick fever .He recieved iv for fpur days and the doctpr told us to take a second opinion as his hemoglobin and platlets were decreasing even after the treatment . Now he has been detected with IMHA and has been put on medication . The vet said a blood transfusion is not required at the moment . Can anyone please tell me as an owner , apart from the medications , what all precautions i can take and what could i do to make him feel better during this whole process ?
My 50 days old gsd puppy Zeus has been diagonsed with IMHA . He got high fever after 3 days of his forst nasal vaccination . But initially the trigger was not detected and vet told us it might be tick fever .He recieved iv for fpur days and the doctpr told us to take a second opinion as his hemoglobin and platlets were decreasing even after the treatment . Now he has been detected with IMHA and has been put on medication . The vet said a blood transfusion is not required at the moment . Can anyone please tell me as an owner , apart from the medications , what all precautions i can take and what could i do to make him feel better during this whole process ?